Epstein Barr is a Herpes family virus. Once contracted it can lay dormant in the body for many years until triggered and reactivated by stress, grief, nutritional deficiency, local trauma, immune dysfunction, mitochondrial weakness or new infections. There are many ways to heal Epstein Barr virus naturally, or at the very least push it back into a latent state so that you stop suffering, we’ll discuss my favourites for both acute and chronic phases below.
During the initial stage of infection with Epstein Barr Virus more commonly known as glandular fever or mononucleosis (mono) common symptoms include:
- swollen glands
- sore throat
- enlarged liver and spleen
For many people the initial infection is asymptomatic or very mild, especially when contracted in childhood
If you are pregnant, check out my guide on treating herpes family viruses with pregnancy safe solutions.
Treatment for the acute phase of infection
During this time effective treatments are:
- high dose vitamin C to support the production of lymphocytes and phagocytes. 2000mg every 2 hours while waking.
- lysine to slow the replication of the virus within your cells. 1000mg 3-4 times daily
- St Johns Wort – caution if using other medications including the oral contraception pill 1-2ml 3-4x daily
- Olive Leaf Extract 1-2ml 3-4x daily
- Echinacea 2ml 3-4x daily
- Astragalus 2-3ml 3-4x daily
**Please note all doses are average doses required by a 70kg adult. adjust dosing based on weight for children and different sized adults.
Treatment for the chronic phase of infection
If you are suffering from a chronic infection or a reactivation of a latent infection, the symptoms will most likely be similar to the initial symptoms with enlarged glands, headache, fatigue, general aches and a general feeling of not being fully recovered.
Chronic and latent EBV takes a much longer time to treat and manage symptoms. Depending on the severity of your symptoms, 6-24 months of daily treatment to optimise the immune system, improve lymphatic drainage, support liver and spleen function, reduce viral load, support your DNA and RNA production and optimise your mitochondria will be necessary.
The acute phase herb and supplements are very useful in chronic phase and you can also add:
- Feed your immune system with Zinc, Vitamins C, A and D
- Activated B vitamins to support your nervous systems and viral silencing
- Regular infra red saunas to support lymphatic detox through the skin
- Herbs to support the production of NK cells such as Andrographis, Cats Claw, Ashwaganda and Japanese Knotweed.
- Glutathione or NAC if tolerated to optimise hepatic detoxification.
- Chlorella or Spirulina to support the production of DNA and RNA
- Medicinal mushrooms- Cordyceps, turkey tail and reishi as anti virals, anti inflammatories and immune modulators.
Chronic Epstein Barr is a very common co-creator in the perfect storm that results in a long term mystery illness such as those caused by tick borne infections, ME/CFS, fibromyalgia and autoimmune conditions. So if you’re suffering from these and suspect Epstein Barr to be a factor in your health, book one of my free 15 minute consultations to see how I can support you to rebuild your health.
Briana Gunn is an Australian Naturopath who specialises in using natural solutions to rebuild your health from CIRS and tick-borne diseases. In practice since 2009, Briana has seen over 1000 clients per year as a Naturopath and expert in CIRS, Lyme and nutritional bypasses for methylation disorders. Briana sees patients all over Australia via Skype.